There are times when one needs to have the ammunition for safety or any other reasons with themselves. Though keeping them is a big responsibility for the person and a lot of things which need to be taken care of while keeping them. If one is taking it to someplace and keeping it into the travelling mode, then or even if kept in one place, there is a lot of care required for them. To store them there are many things which one needs to take care –
- It should be stored at a dry place – If the ammunition is being stored at a humid place, then it could cause rust to it and even to the bullets as most of them are made with the brass casing. If this happens, then it won’t be easy to insert the cartridge inside it. This will make the cartridge even weak, and the bullet could not be fired from it, making it more unsafe to use. If there is a humid environment around, then how to keep ammo safe is a question, so it should be kept in the sealed container. Or one can store the ammunition at a place with a dehumidifier. When ammunition is being kept in the safe, then the dehumidifier should also be there.
- From heat, it should be stored away –If the storage is done for a longer duration where there is heat, then it could affect the chemical mixture of the gun powder. This will affect the lifespan of ammunition. The temperature more than 125°F, could make the gun powder turns the gas and take out the casing.
- Keeping it in the sealed container– The ammunition should be kept in the sealed container as through the natural elements available around like air could affect the lead on a bullet. But it is also necessary to make the container such that it does not have to absorb humidity, for this one can put some sawdust inside it which will absorb the humidity or any other stuff of that sort.
- The dark area should be stored– The ammunition can be affected by the UV rays and can damage the paint and skin. If it is kept in the dark area, one can save the damage which UV rays could have done with its exposure.
- Should be easily accessible– An ammunition is being kept for the safety of a person, and if in the time of need, there are a lot of things which one needs to do to get it. Or if it is easily accessible to everyone, then it could also be dangerous. So, these should be kept in such a way that it could be easily taken out when needed while no accessible to everyone as either of the situations can be dangerous for the person who has bought the ammunition.
- Should be kept organized– The ammunition and bullets should be kept simultaneously as it will help to keep everything organized. Best is to store it in the original packing where all the things are clearly mentioned and organized. Otherwise, it could be kept in the plastic ammunition boxes specially designed to store the ammunition with the bullets.
If proper storage of the ammunition is done, these could last for decades and could work in a good mode. A lot of care needs to be taken for how to keep ammo safe while storing it properly.