Ever get the feeling that you can’t breathe properly? It may be because of only two possibilities here; firstly either you are way too excited, or you are asthmatic! Also known as bronchial asthma, this disorder plagues more than 10 million people in Australia today. It is characterised by breathlessness, coughing and chest congestion.
What causes you to become asthmatic:
Till date, no researchers and scientists have been able to pinpoint the exact reason behind this disorder. However, there a host of reasons that could trigger this such as:
- Pollen grains
- Excess humidity in the atmosphere
- The fur of domestic pets
- Abrupt climate changes
- Passive smoking
- Certain medicines
- Specific odors such as paints or perfumes
Ayurveda vs. Bronchial Asthma:
Ayurveda is the art of treating disorders through naturally available materials. Black grams, sour curd, raw milk, too much salt in food, excess seafood is believed to cause this disorder. Ayurveda has a full arsenal of herbs to counter bronchial asthma such as:
- Pushkarmool is an aromatic tonic with mild painkiller effects on the chest. Its anti-inflammatory, diuretic and antiseptic properties make it an effective cure for Asthma
- Pippali has a revitalizing effect on the patients’ lungs. Roots of this herb help to cure respiratory disorders. Powder with honey taken twice a day will help to cure asthma
- Ginger, a natural expectorant has been used since time immemorial, to cure cold and other respiratory disorders. Grated ginger along with turmeric, when added to boiling milk, taken twice a day, cures asthma
- Ashwagandha roots are a natural anti-depressant and can be used to relieve a blocked nose; lower stress means the low incidence of asthma
- A pinch of Black pepper added along with turmeric in boiling milk can remove cold deposit over lungs
- Garlic is an incredible herb to cure most of the respiratory disorders associated with asthma. Coupled with ginger, it has excellent antioxidant properties.
Ayurveda is not about just medication through herbs; you can read this page https://www.pureherbalayurved.com.au/asthma-treatment-australia.htm. It also imbibes a holistic change in lifestyle that will prevent asthma from resurfacing in you. Some recommended lifestyle changes in Ayurveda are:
- Exercise to keep your body weight under check regularly
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day to increase the antioxidant level in the body
- Vacuum your house daily to remove fine dust
- Cover nose, mouth and hair when exposed to asthma triggering elements as mentioned earlier
Do refer to your General physician before going about these medications so that the best regimen can be devised for you.