It turns out that Middlebury keeps going even when you are not here. I know, weird right? In fact, a lot went down the past few months. Here are the most important things that happened this summer on and around campus.
1. Delta house (ADP) officially disbanded. Yes, it’s true… freshmen will live there this year.
Delta House (formerly ADP). No one cares…
2. The bubble was deflated…
…and construction began on the new $46 million athletic facilities.
Where the main entrance to the athletic complex used to be.
Where the new field house will go.
3. English was banned from our campus for 7 to 8 weeks.
4. Up the road in Bristol, an awesome Fourth of July tradition endured.
The final heat of the Great Bristol Outhouse Race
5. The College outfitted the Axinn 105 computer lab with 21 brand new iMacs.
While it’s awesome the basement of Axinn now looks like a Star Trek control room, was anything really wrong with the old ones?
6. Middlebury suspended its school in Egypt again. It’s just for the fall, but things are not looking good for the spring either….
photo credit: google images
7. Back in this neck of the woods, the Addison County Fair and Field Days Demolition Derby went down–another great local summer tradition.
Yep, this exists but a few miles from our quaint campus.
8. The Solar D team finished building InSite house for the 2013 Dept. of Energy Solar Decathlon Competition in Irvine, California.
And then they unveiled it to the public for the first time–it was pretty amazing. But now they have to take it apart and ship it to California.
9. The path from the library to Axinn was paved.
Middlebury students spoke with their feet and the grounds crew listened.
10. Old Chapel’s cupola got a little makeover.
11. The College announced it will install a sushi bar in Crossroads.
middbeat has a few ideas on how to make the Grille cool, but this was not one of them…
12. Ron Liebowitz changed his mind and Purple Jesus was resurrected…hooray!
Great, you are all filled in. Now get back to packing and we will see you next week for a the start of a great year. We hope you will continue to constantly check middbeat for anything and everything going on at Midd.