- This year, on planet Earth:
Miley twerked and rode construction equipment. The government shut down (and so did the Obamacare website, for awhile). Edward Snowden leaked big secrets and then searched for a safe haven. The war in Syria turned biological. Wendy Davis filibustered. So did Ted Cruz. George Zimmerman was acquitted of the murder of Trayvon Martin (and other charges). The US Supreme Court struck down DOMA. Tragedy struck at the Boston Marathon. The Pope resigned, and his replacement was TIME’s person of the year, maybe a Marxist, and way less creepy-looking than his predecessor). BEYONCE broke the Super Bowl and the internet. Typhoon Haiyan ravaged the Philippines. Over 300 million unlucky people got that song stuck in their heads.
this is Ylvis and I’m sorry but I wouldn’t mind if that fox said “nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom” and ate them
What a year, huh?! A lot of other things happened this year, too, and they’re on Top ___s of 2013 lists scattered across the internet. There are so many Top ___s of 2013 Lists that someone should probably make a List of Top ___s of 2013 Lists list. But not us, because we made a list of our own!
2013 was a big year for middbeat, too. Drumroll, please…
TA-DAAAAA! i made this on the internet and it took me longer than it should have.
By the Numbers
In 2013, we:
- Celebrated our 1st birthday!
- Published over 600 posts
- Got over 234,000 pageviews…
- ….from over 54,000 unique visitors (“unique” as in, my mom visits the site every 5 minutes but she only gets counted once)
And here’s a profile of you, our visitors–
- You visited us from 172 countries/territories. A special shout-out to our 1 visitor from Myanmar. Rock on.
- You used 39 different browsers and 478 different types of mobile devices. Props to the 2 people who used their Nintendo 3DS.
- You left 935 comments (not including the spam ones about “secret millionaires club” or “poker-online-indonesia,” sadly)
- Nearly 2,000 of you linked to us from middleburyconfessional. Busted.
- 1 of you was [the real, verified] President Ron Liebowitz! Thank you for reading and for your kind, encouraging words on one of our earliest articles, MOTHA FUCKIN SNOW BALL FIGHT.
Our Top Stories of 2013 (by number of unique views)
- Flags commemorating 9/11 taken down as political statement. 9/11/13.
- Middlebury Student Dies in Car Crash. 7/1/13.
- Blacks are Lazy and Gays are Bad Parents? (updated w/ audio) 11/21/13.
- Local High School Kids Made A Video About Middlebury Students and It’s Pretty Amazing. 11/12/13
- Enemies of the State: Pussy Riot and the New Russian Protest Rock. 2/25/13.
- 10 Best Places to Poop on Campus. 11/18/13.
- Liebowitz Ends Purple Jesus. 5/23/13. (or does he…)
- Check out this amazing video of our beautiful campus. 10/16/13.
- Middlebury Senior Charged With Felony Sexual Assault. 5/19/13.
- Middlebury Community Council Releases RLC Report. 3/12/13.
It’s been cool to look back through the archives and see how middbeat has grown and changed over the past year. We’re grateful that so many of you have jumped on board to help us improve. Thank you for your story tips, your event submissions, and your article shares. Thank you for posting thoughtful comments, for starting conversations, and for keeping them going. We think that middbeat is a valuable forum for the Middlebury community past, present, and future, and all of you help make make that happen. So hey, thank you.
We also owe a big thanks to the folks who joined the middbeat team this year. Whether you wrote about the Gettysburg Address or poop, thank you for contributing your voices. The more dedicated beaters, the better. if you’re interested in regularly writing for us, we’d love to have you! shoot us an email at middbeat [at] gmail [dot] com.
Enjoy the rest of Winter Break, everyone. Can’t wait to break all our New Years Resolutions with you in 2014. XCITED GET WILD OVER J-TERRRMMMMM!!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo <3, <3, <3